Best utilizing fat long pipes and large file transfer

Sean Knox sean at craigslist.org
Thu Jun 12 22:37:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for input on the best practices for sending large files over
a long fat pipe between facilities (gigabit private circuit, ~20ms RTT).
I'd like to avoid modifying TCP windows and options on end hosts where
possible (I have a lot of them). I've seen products that work as
"transfer stations" using "reliable UDP" to get around the windowing
problem.

I'm thinking of setting up servers with optimized TCP settings to push
big files around data centers but I'm curious to know how others deal
with LFN+large transfers.

thanks,
Sean