Why word on fiber outages in NY?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Jun 11 00:49:08 UTC 2008

You might try over on the outages mailing list:

scott

--- rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net wrote:

Anyone have the exact news or information of whats going on in NYC
with a rather large fiber cut?  I keep hearing that there was some
large Con-Ed electrical vault that caught fire and burned up a ton of
CavTel and Level3 fiber.  I believe this happened sometime Sunday
morning around 3:40 EDT.  At that time I saw some CavTel dark fiber go
away and Level3 DIA circuits just drop off...

Level3 has been less than useful on giving updates rather than saying
"extensive fiber damage in the NY metro area, no ETA".  I've heard
that the damage is so extensive it will be several days before anyone
is allowed in to work on the fiber.

I've been trying to search news and information, but nothing.  I've
heard this is huge outage for Level3 in the New York/Northeast area.
Anyone have anything to share?