Querstions about COGENT and their services...

Greg VILLAIN nanog at grrrrreg.net
Tue Jun 3 18:55:27 UTC 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 6:06 PM, TS Glassey wrote:
> So at one time Cogent was one of the lowest performing bandwidth
> providers. Anyone have any responses to their current operations?
>
> regards,
> Todd Glassey CISM CIFI
> Chief Scientist/Founder - Certichron Inc
> TGlassey at Wireless-Time.COM
> 650-796-8178

Couple remarks on their reputation in europe, I've never had Cogent
transit, so this requires further investigation.
They're the cheapest (cost-wise, I wouldn't venture to say technically-
wise) in Europe, that's a fact.
They often get into peering clashes against major actors, they've
recently been in that situation with Telia, in the past with France's
incumbent (Orange), Level 3 has also depeered them in the past, this
is due to them being brokers and is inherent to their pricing policy -
it certainly will keep happening to them in the future.
The above point is from my perspective a show-stopper, but a good
strategy I've very often heard from some of their customers is to use
them to forward traffic towards exotic locations, where QoS is not an
issue, or where revenue is not critical.
Their IP core is supposedly a patch-work resulting from their numerous
past acquisitions (PSINet, Lambdanet to name a few), which can explain
the many outages they have.
Still, the sales people in Europe are really kind, comprehensive and
caring people, which makes it a little better, I suppose :)
Hope this helped.

Greg VILLAIN
Independant internet architect