Querstions about COGENT and their services...

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Jun 3 17:32:17 UTC 2008

At 12:10 PM 6/3/2008, David Coulson wrote:
>the cheapest, that's for sure. I've not heard anything about them in
>the last couple of months, but the last year has been filled with
>almost monthly service outages or congestion.

They are also one of the biggest providers... Proportionally
speaking, if they had the same percentage of failures as a provider
10% of their size, it would appear Cogent is "worse" as there would
be more reports.  Also, in my experience, I find Cogent pretty good
about admitting to outages, even if we didnt notice it.  Some
providers on the other hand do everything possible to hide any issues...

Cogent's pricing in Canada is not that far off from a number of other
providers I could choose from so to say "you get what you pay for"
misses a bit of detail.  They are not the cheapest, but in that price
range, I like the service they offer and have found them a relatively
reliable provider.  There are other "premiere" / "Tier 1" providers
that I found gave worse service, had billing that would drive my AP
people crazy and were far more difficult to deal with from a trouble
ticket perspective.

         ---Mike