Level3 tries cell-phone style billing scam on customers

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Thu Jul 31 18:45:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Joe Maimon wrote:
>> You try something, see if it works. Then try something a little bit less,
>> see if it works, and so on.
>

> If what you are saying translates to
>
> "How much pain can we inflict on our customers before they break (whether or
> not it increases revenue or decreases costs)?"

More like "let's give it a shot, see if they are on to us. Best case we
suceeded, worst case we give a little way and try again. In all likelihood
we will end up better off, and at the worst at a regular starting position
for the deal/negotiation/kick in the nuts.

> Then yes, it is inherently malicious, but of a natural predatory sort.

Isn't malicious, just not very ethical. Having been on the recieving end a
few times.. you don't always know it is happening.

But now that we all released some steam, I don't think billing practices
is really our expertise here.. although many of us techies negotiate the
bandwidth and peering for some very odd reason.

 	Gadi.