Hardware capture platforms

nathan at robotics.net nathan at robotics.net
Wed Jul 30 22:44:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, John A. Kilpatrick wrote:

> We've deployed a bunch taps in our network and now we need a platform on
> which to capture the data.  Our bandwidth is currently pretty low but I've
> got 8 links to tap, which means I need 16 ports.  Has anyone done any
> research on doing accurate packet capture with commodity hardware?

A hardware based capture card is the only way to get to any real
throughput. Check out Endace cards, that will let you do line rate gig e
or better and has native libpcap interface. You also may want to check out
WildPackets cards.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com