Hardware capture platforms

Lynda shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Wed Jul 30 18:52:00 UTC 2008

Warren Kumari wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Darryl Dunkin wrote:
>
>> Hubs sure are fun...

> This might be a stupid question, but where can one get small hubs  these
> days? All of the common commodity (eg:  4 port Netgear) "hubs"  these
> days are actually switches.

True enough. For those of us who need and want something non-switched,
eBay and other used hardware places are the only real option.

> What I am looking for is: Small enough to live in my notebook bag
> (e.g.: 4 port with a wall wart.) Cheap Simple 10/100/1000Mbps

I don't believe that such a thing ever existed. Hubs that did 10/100,
certainly, but I've never ever seen a hub that did gig speeds. When I
realized hubs were about to be an endangered species, I started
purchasing new and used. I have at least two that (other than testing)
have never been used.

> While a tap would work, I'd prefer a hub because I can then use it to
> connect machines together in a pinch.

The original poster needed to deploy a tap, and a hub (for him) would
defeat the purpose entirely. If you really really need a hub (or two),
your best bet is to start looking at various resellers. Pity you're not
closer; I'm retired, and no longer really need the six or eight that I
still have.

--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.