Hardware capture platforms

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jul 30 18:32:31 UTC 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Darryl Dunkin wrote:

> Hubs sure are fun...

This might be a stupid question, but where can one get small hubs
these days? All of the common commodity (eg:  4 port Netgear) "hubs"
these days are actually switches.

What I am looking for is:
Small enough to live in my notebook bag (e.g.: 4 port with a wall wart.)
Cheap
Simple
10/100/1000Mbps

While a tap would work, I'd prefer a hub because I can then use it to
connect machines together in a pinch.

---

In the past I have bought some cheap 4 port commodity switches (form
Circuit City or somewhere similar), found the datasheet for the
chipset (it was a Broadcom something or other) and tied the pin to
ground that disables the learning mode (actually, I think that the pin
just set the size of the learning table to be 0 entries).  While this
works, doing it once was more than enough :-)

--
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Pratchett