Hardware capture platforms

James Pleger jpleger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 02:26:09 UTC 2008

There are several things that you can do with open source solutions,
however looking at the data may be a bit more difficult than something
like Network Generals or Solera Networks capture appliances. It is
still doable and is definitely much much cheaper...

Something you might want to look into is traffic aggregation with a
switch or hub. You can buy an Allied Telesyn switch and basically turn
it into a hub by disabling switchport learning. Just an idea.

You can use regular old tcpdump with the -C option to rotate logs

tcpdump -i blah -s0 -C <filesize to rotate>, etc.

or you can use Daemonlogger which does pretty much the same thing...

http://www.snort.org/users/roesch/Site/Daemonlogger/Daemonlogger.html