So why don't US citizens get this?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 28 21:21:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:48:49PM -0500, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> > And I would reckon that laying fibre along existing utility poles to
> > reach 200 homes would cost far less than laying fibre in a concrete high
> > rise appartment building to reach 200 appartments.
> >
> > Problem is not laying fiber between poles, the last mile has been always
> the show killer.
>
> 200 local loops + terminating equipment surely will cost more than 1 local
> loop + terminating equipment.

As it happens, we're looking into replacing about 30 HDSL4 T-1s with
fiber.  The copper loop charge, per T1, is about $180 a month or so.

The fiber loop charge, *per T1* is about $150.

Plus a $30 a month cross-connect charge.

I love tariffs, don't you?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.