Software router state of the art

Chris Stebner chris.stebner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:01:30 UTC 2008

Deepak Jain wrote:

>> The problem I'm facing is that if I want something from Cisco that
>> can do at least line-rate T3, I'm looking at least $20k per router. I
>> don't have a uber-budget, so for me, that's kind of painful when I
>> start to need more than one plus spare parts. But, I have a high
>> level of confidence that I can put cards in, some memory, power it
>> up, configure it and I'm good to go.
>>
>> Junpier's J-series is a BSD based platform as far as I understand it.
>> ImageStream is *much* more affordable for me, but is Linux-based, and
>> I fear Linux as a router and I don't know what they've done to fix
>> the common gripes with Linux-as-router. I have no idea if either of
>> the two have hardware assist in the cards, but my impression is that
>> they are essentially software platforms with custom interface cards.
>> Interface cards are important to me because I'm operating in an
>> environment where my link to the outside world is probably going to
>> be T1/T3.
>>
>> I'm aware of Cisco IOS, then BSD-based and Linux-based platforms that
>> are actually sold as routing products. I also know there are a
>> billion "yay, router!" things out there. T1 cards are easy to find.
>> The only other place I know I could buy a T3 card from is Sangoma.
>> Maybe someone has even used it* T3 card before. Rather than reinvent
>> the wheel alone, nanog has to contain the highest concentration of
>> people that have tried various things and already know what will work
>> and what won't work. I'm not looking for OS politics, just
>> operational experience from people who have access to more money and
>> more hardware than I do to have tried more stuff.
>>
>> If my best option is still from the big players, so be it. If there's
>> something else that's just as stable, I want to hear about it. I'm
>> not adverse to some dirty work, but I just don't have the time right
>> now to jump in over my head into a software router project and then
>> fight my way back to the surface. I'm not trying to create something
>> for educational purposes, I need something suitable for a production
>> environment.
>>

> [I didn't know what to cut from above, so I left it].
>
> What I've used and seen used before that plays both to the strengths
> of the PC as a router and addresses some of the T3 related issues --
> especially if you control both ends of the T3.
>
> Using an FE to T3 bridge or FE to T1 bridge as the case may be. With a
> little tuning you can put a rate shaper on the PC (prior art, very
> stable) to not run into off-PC buffering issues. Your PC has plenty of
> cheap buffer. The interface to the comms network is done through a
> dedicated, telco or computer center grade piece of gear.
>
> Everyone here (NANOG) can agree that a 10 or 100Mb/s PC router is a no
> brainer and as long as you aren't using irresponsible gear, this thing
> will route packets forever.
>
> Putting telco interfaces into PCs has always been a little more odd,
> [...]
To echo Deepak's suggestion and draw attention to the original statement
"because I'm operating in an environment where my link to the outside
world is probably going to be T1/T3." Would lead one to question the
PA-MC-T3 even. Could be even cheaper if you don't need the multi-channel
component (of course the monthly cost of the DS3 pales here in
comparison w/ the h/w setup, but thought Id mention it regardless as it
could save you 2 grand.) If all you need is a few t1's just pick up the
VIP 2-50 interface card and a 4 x T1 adapter.

This solution can most be definitely be had for under 5 grand. with the
RSP4+'s (ECC mem) youd be looking at greater than 99.99 percent uptime
if configured with SSO.

-chris