Software router state of the art

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Mon Jul 28 18:30:03 UTC 2008

Justin Sharp wrote:
> michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>>> but knowing how bad Linux is at being a router and that their
>>> products are Linux-based, I'm afraid to give one a try. J products
>>> are based on a competing non-Linux platform that has a better
>>> reputation for routing.
>>>

>> Enough with the bipartisan politics. There are more choices than just
>> Linux and FreeBSD for software routing.
>>
>> Click for instance <http://read.cs.ucla.edu/click/>
>>
>> --Michael Dillon
>>

> Anyone have experience with RouterOS (http://www.mikrotik.com/)?
> Created mostly to run on these guys I think
> (http://www.routerboard.com/comparison.html) which generally don't get
> above 200k pps on the higher models.. But will RouterOS run on bigger
> boxen?

Yes I do, and I'm still in therapy.  I was pushing 30mbit, and I can't
remember how many PPS through one, and it crashed about once a month
requiring onsite intervention (usually at midnight).  This was running
on a Compaq Deskpro I think.  It doesn't have much support for good
network cards.  I suspect the Realtek's were behind the crashes.

Andrew