Software router state of the art

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Mon Jul 28 18:05:10 UTC 2008

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>>> but knowing how bad Linux is at being a router and that their
>>> products are Linux-based, I'm afraid to give one a try. J products
>>> are based on a competing non-Linux platform that has a better
>>> reputation for routing.
>>

> Thanks for being oh-so-helpful with a serious question. Got any useful
> answers for me? Give me a vendor that offers your suggestion. I don't
> have time for a make-it-myself solution.

Hmmmm. Well then you probably don't want to use Linux/BSD as a router,
as a substantial amount of DIY is required for anything beyond
relatively simple routing. MPLS support (on Linux) for example is in
early phases and requires integrating separate pieces and is best
supported on Fedora9. Needless to say, Fedora isn't designed for
reliable/stable operation and long term deployment.

I have yet to look into *BSD based solutions, but hear very good things
about firewall performance. I don't know about BGP/OSPF/MPLS etc support
on FreeBSD but am going to wager a guess its on par with Linux if not
better.

To address another point made in this thread, see
http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2007/zhu-Reprint.pdf which
addresses hardware multiqueue device support under Linux. Its from
2007.  I think there was a question about Linux/multiqueue support in
this thread, but I am not 100% sure. :)

I think there was mention of Vyatta earlier in the thread and some talk
about it switching from Xorp to Quagga, and a supposition that should
improve it.

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com