Software router state of the art

Sargun Dhillon sdhillon at decarta.com
Mon Jul 28 15:54:38 UTC 2008

This is not exactly true. The modern Linux kernel (2.6) uses some amount
of flow tracking in order to do route caching. You can check this out on
your system by:
"ip route show cache"

It keeps track of Src/Dst/QoS/Ethernet adapters/etc.. Additionally most
systems have the iptables modules loaded in kernel and the conntrack
module in kernel. This immediately activates connection tracking,
therefore considerably slowing down software routing. The most optimal
way of speeding this up would be sticking the route cache into somewhat
faster memory. Though it would be fairly nice to get rid of the route
cache as that can cause problem with eccentric setups. Also, as cache
entries take a moment to be deleted, or degrade leading to convergence
times being higher.

--
+1.925.202.9485
Sargun Dhillon