Paul Vixie: Re: [dns-operations] DNS issue accidentally leaked?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Jul 26 21:16:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 03:05:18PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> > what i do not understand is why people think screaming to the choir will
> > make any significant difference?
>
> And Paul's absolutely correct, this is not something where we can afford to
> let that happen.

	Paul is correct if you work from his point of view.  there
	are other pov where the frantic energy expenditure might be
	better spent.  If you -must- patch, try patching w/ code that
	is -not- vulnerable... unbound has been reported as being "safe"
	if properly configured.  So that was my patch profile.

	actually, i think this is a whole lot of effort for what is
	essentually a diversion tactic.  Why you ask?

> And patching does not appear to guarantee invulnerability (eek!)

	there you go.  the massive effort to patch would likley have
	better been spent to actually -sign- the stupid zones and
	work out key distribution.  but no... running around like
	the proverbial headless chicken seems to get the PR.

	The real value in this frantic exercise was pointed out by Roy
	Arends... the number of folks who now have (possibly) DNSSEC aware
	code in play is much higher than last month.

> The Really Scary Possibilities (at least the one that really frightens me)
> Have Not Been Discussed On This List.

	true enough.  and that is a good thing.

> ... JG
> --