IPv6 nameserver glue chez netsol

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sat Jul 26 18:29:12 UTC 2008

We tried getting Network Solutions to add an AAAA glue record by sending
email to various addresses (starting with the one below) with no success,
and then switched to calling.

Their after hours customer service didn't know anything about IPv6 host
records or IPv6 nameserver glue, however their regular business hours
customer service was knowledgeable, professional, and knew exactly what to
do and had AAAA records added for our nameservers that day.

We went with adding AAAA records to ns2,ns3,ns4,ns5.he.net.  We are still
in the process of adding ns4 and ns5 to various domains etc.  We deferred
getting an AAAA host record added for ns1.he.net for the sake of being
conservative because we provide authorative DNS for alot of domain names.
The nameserver ns1.he.net does have an AAAA record for itself.

The he.net website has been running with an AAAA record for quite a while
and we've yet to get a single call or ticket involving a customer that
couldn't reach it due to misconfigured IPv6.  We get lots of regular
server and router tickets with IPv6 configuration questions.

It would be great if Network Solutions would add IPv6 nameserver glue
support to their web interface so that customers get a consistently
successful experience.

Mike.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Jared wrote:

> Their page for changing DNS servers mentions:
>
> Advanced Users:
>
> To specify your IPv6 name server address (IPv6 glue record), e-mail us
> the domain name, the host name of the name server(s), and their IPv6
> address(es).
>
> With the "e-mail us" being:
>
> IPV6Req at networksolutions.com
>
> William Waites wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone have a contact or a known administrative path to get AAAA NS
> > glue added to
> > domains registered with Network Solutions? Or is the only choice to move
> > the domains in
> > question to a different registrar?
> >
> > (Perhaps more appropriate for dns-operations, but as it is an
> > operational question and my
> > subscription request is awaiting moderator approval, I hope nobody will
> > mind my posting
> > it here)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -w

| Mike Leber         Wholesale IPv4 and IPv6 Transit       510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation                 AS6939 |
| mleber at he.net                                           http://he.net |