Software router state of the art

Dorn Hetzel dhetzel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 11:41:21 UTC 2008

Ok, it's probably a stupid question, but given the relative ease of putting
4gb+ ram on a 64bit platform,
could packet per second performance be improved by brute forcing the route
lookup as an array of 1 byte destination interface indexes for a contiguous
swath of /32's from bottom to top?

Route updates would be a little ugly, 2^24 bytes to rewrite for a /8, but
forwarding lookups out to be a single indexed read ?