OT: 2-post rack security covers

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Jul 24 14:48:54 UTC 2008

Somewhere I've seen what amounts to a concave cover that you can mount
over the face of gear racked in a 2-post.  The cover I saw had a bracket
that mounted to the 2-post before any equipment was installed and it had
a couple knobs sticking out (basically consuming a U on each end).  Then
you racked up the equipment through the holes in the bracket you mounted
earlier.  Finally the cover (which sticks out about 6") slips over the
front of all the gear, down onto the knobs and locks in place with a
mechanism that grasps the metal knobs.  I've also seen ones that don't
lock.  The point of this is to provide additional security in a cageless
co-lo environment like what you'd find in most COs providing RLEC
services as well as prevent accidental damage to the cabling on the
front of equipment.

Does anyone have a specific name for what I'm talking about?  Vendor or
product reference?  I've looked through all my catalogs and can't find
what I'm looking for.  I'd like to think that no one would mess with out
wiring or devices in those COs but of course I can't guarantee that.
The damage someone could do to our cross-connects in a few seconds time
is something I'd like to avoid.  A SFP or GBIC can be stolen quickly too
with minimal effort.  No sense in tempting people if it can be helped.

Thanks
  Justin