Software router state of the art

randal k nanog at data102.com
Wed Jul 23 17:46:11 UTC 2008

That is a very interesting paper. Seriously, 7mpps with an
off-the-shelf Dell 2950? Even if it were -half- that throughput, for a
pure ethernet forwarding solution that is incredible. Shoot, buy a
handful of them as hot spares and still save a bundle.

Highly recommended reading, even if (like me) you're anti-commodity routing.

Cheers,
Randal