virtual aggregation in IETF

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Jul 20 17:01:40 UTC 2008

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>> Not saying that they couldn't benefit from it, however on one hand we
>> have a device with a 36Mbit cam on the other, one with 2GB of ram, which
>> one fills up first?
>
> Well, the actual data point you should look at is "160k odd FIB from a couple
> years ago can fit in under 2 megabytes of memory."
>
> The random fetch time for dynamic RAM is pretty shocking compared to L2
> cache access time, and you probably want to arrange your FIB to play well with
> your cache.
>
> Its nice that the higher end CPUs have megabytes and megabytes of L2 cache
> but placing a high-end Xeon on each of your interface processors is probably
> asking a lot. So there's still room for optimising for sensibly-specced
> hardware.

If you're putting it on a line card it's probably more like a RAZA XLR,
more memory bandwith and less cpu relative to the say the intel arch
approach.

That said I think you're headed to high end again. It has been
routinetly posited that fib growth hurts the people on the edge more
than in the center. I don't buy that for the reason outlined in my
original response. If my pps requirements are moderate my software
router can carry a fib of effectively arbitrary size at a lower cost
than carrying the same fib in cam.