virtual aggregation in IETF

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Jul 20 16:34:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> Software switched routers have little pressure on fib limitions. For a
> certain class of application the software switched edge router is in a
> much better position to accommodate fib growth than a device with a
> fixed sized cam.

I dunno about that; there's some papers floating about which look at
trie type FIB representations which note significant savings in compressing
FIB to unique entry set. Less memory, less comparsions, less nodes, etc.
Rather interesting stuff.

Try http://www.academypublisher.com/jnw/vol02/no03/jnw02031827.pdf for
fun.

Adrian