Force10 E300 vs. Juniper MX480

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Fri Jul 18 14:52:35 UTC 2008

Keith O'neill wrote:
> Force 10 is fine. I do suggest he go with the dual cam cards over the regular cards. I am not sure what Chris is talking about but I have used Force 10 for a long time, E, C and S series and have found it very stable. It will do everything you want and then some. The E300 is a good bang for the buck. Sure Foundry might be cheaper but I hear more complaining about Foundry than any other platform.
>
> Chris you want to share what issues you have seen with Force 10.
>
> Keith

Considering I just had another issue pop up sure - I'd be glad to at
this point.

As provided to another member who contacted me off list:
The S series problems were the worst - customer facing issues.
<--snip-->. The list is noted in SFTOS and FTOS. Our design required
layer 3 code on the S50N which "caused" some of these errors to present
themselves:

- SFTOS: Limit of 8 ACL's (total ACL line count). Secondary assignments
on the switch were "unprotected".

- SFTOS: OSPF required a specific ACL to form an adjacency even with a
"default allow".

- SFTOS: If an uplink went down with OSPF running (ECMP) when the link
was brought back up the OSPF adjacency would only form half way but
would add a route. A 50/50 chance of success was the result.

- SFTOS: A "Transient Parity Error" crashed one of the S50's in
production. No known cause.

- FTOS: The switch would lock during certain ARP operations (i.e. port
flap). A hard reboot was necessary to recover the switch. <--snip-->

- FTOS: Random reboots preceded by "Low memory" errors. Our design would
not / could not have consumed all the switch memory.

- FTOS: An upgrade from SFTOS to FTOS changes all the SNMP interface
indexes causing lots of internal software to no longer be able to poll
switch ports or monitor accurately.

- FTOS: Hard lock of the switch after an STP root change. The root
change was not seen on any other switches (i.e. another bug in the S50
code) and there were no events that should have caused a change in the
topology.

The E series has more stable but like I said lacking some features. The
most notable is the inability to do "normal" PBR. Pretty much any BGP
attribute can't be used to build a policy. We were forced to dedicate
vlans to certain policies as they could only match the traffic via an
interface.

A minor annoyance is the timing for the management cpu causing ping
times to look as though there is something wrong with the router.
There's a paper out there somewhere explaining the cause for this and it
has to do with the polling cycles of the board.

A snippet of a ping to a routing interface:
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=4 ttl=252 time=0.640 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=5 ttl=252 time=5.376 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=6 ttl=252 time=12.170 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=7 ttl=252 time=1.106 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=8 ttl=252 time=8.089 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=9 ttl=252 time=0.715 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=10 ttl=252 time=3.758 ms
64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=11 ttl=252 time=10.636 ms

The only other problem we've had with the E series is a BGP failure. The
device failed over to its standby management module so the impact was
limited. I don't hold that too much against them as I realize that no
vendor is perfect. However the vast problems we've had with the S series
and minor problems with the E bring into question the stability and
unseen bugs with other software. <--snip-->

Hopefully the above is helpful. I'm sure my experience isn't unique or
the norm. If everyone was having issues similar to mine they'd be out of
business.

The most recent problem occuring today:
%FIB6-2-FIB6_HW_WRITE_ERROR: Failed to write entry into Host table.

Had to clear the fib in order to get communication with that host back up.

Of all the vendors I've worked with this is by _far_ the longest list of
issues I've ever come across. I'm glad that you're having better success
than I am. Believe me I wish I was in the same boat.

We've been using Foundry for a much longer period of time than we have
Force10 and in comparison I personally no longer consider them
comparable products.

Regards,

	Chris