Force10 E300 vs. Juniper MX480

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Fri Jul 18 03:09:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,

An acquaintance who runs an ISP with an M7i on its border is looking
to upgrade, because the M7i is starting to creak from all the flesh-
tone MPEGs his customers are sharing. (How times have changed. Back
when I was chasing packets, it was flesh-tone JPEGs.)

He's looking at the MX480 and the E300.

The MX480 is attractive because the M7i has been stable as a rock, and
he's familiar with JUNOS.

The E300 is attractive because it's half the price of the MX480, and
has the potential to hold layer-2 cards as well as layer-3 ports which
makes the price per port much more reasonable than the MX480. But he
has no experience with Force10 at any ISO layer higher than 2.

He doesn't have any exotic requirements beyond OSPF, OSPFv3, BGP, IP
and IPv6. There's no MPLS in the picture, for example. However, he's
going to want four or five full tables plus a moderate load of peering
routes in there. And maybe VRRP.

Thoughts from people who have tried one or the other, or both? Or who
have faced this kind of problem, and came up with a different answer?

Feel free to send mail off-list; I can summarise if there is interest.

Joe