GBIC compatibility and pricing (was Managed, cheap, DC power switches)

Steve Dalberg sdalberg at marchex.com
Thu Jul 17 22:15:45 UTC 2008

This reason is twofold, one is Resellers were just buying whatever cheap
gbics they could and bundling them with Procurve switches (I'm sure this
happens to other vendors too).  Thus most of the profitable parts of
switch sales were being eroded by the resellers.

The other is that Procurve offers a lifetime warranty on most (possibly
all) of their products, including gbics I believe, thus the premium.  I
believe you can just RMA a Procurve GBIC, and they will send you a new
one, no receipts, no worries, no expiration, no service contract.

He shouldn't have to eat 300 gbics unless he bought non-Procurve ones to
begin with.  HP should be able to exchange/reprogram them if they were
HP Gbics.

Steve

jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think
RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com
'87 e24