Analysing traces for performance bottlenecks

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jul 17 16:40:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Sam Stickland wrote:
> Something that could provide a similar, automated analysis of a TCP stream
> capture is what I'm after, although I doubt a standard packet capture will be
> able to provided as many metric as web100 stack can.

There are several similar tools designed for ISP customer care centers
to help analyze network problems reported by customers.  Customer calls
with complaint, agent clicks on tool and asks customer to try what is
broken, tool analyzes traffic and guesses what's wrong.  CC agent then
reads from the script for fixing problem X.

They tend to be expensive and are designed for point-click call center
agents.  The back-end analysis some of these systems attempt is
impressive, even if the output is overly simplistic.  The one I'm most
familar with was Adlex <http://www.adlex.com/> which has been purchased
by CompuWare.  But there are several others.