Avg. Packet Size - Again?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Jul 16 15:24:59 UTC 2008

CAIDA has been doing a lot of that, at least in the past. Last I asked
them, which was quite a while back, they said that O(35%) of traffic
in their samples was at the path MTU (which included 576 bytes for
historical reasons), O(40%) was about the size of a TCP SYN or ACK,
for reasons that are apparent if you think about common TCP
implementations, and sizes were scattered more or less uniformly in
between - last packet in a burst or transaction exchanges. From the
numbers that Valdis posted the other day, it sounds like the logic
remains about the same but the relevance of "576" has largely gone away.