Building a BGP test network

Howard Jones howard.jones at network-i.net
Wed Jul 9 15:26:16 UTC 2008

Jason Lewis wrote:
> I'm building a BGP test network and I'd like to replicate a full route
> table on a few of my routers.  I thought I might be able to use Quagga
> and insert a rib dump, but I'm not finding a lot of info on if it's
> possible.  (I've pinged the quagga list and didn't get any response)
>
> So my question is, is it possible to feed a router on a private test
> network a full route table from a RIB snapshot?  I have to think
> someone has done it and I'm just not searching for the right things.
I've done this in the (distant) past by taking the output from 'show ip
route' from one of our live transit routers, and awking it into a load
of 'route add' commands on a spare FreeBSD box. Run quagga on that, and
hook it into your test network. I needed to change some sysctl
parameters to allow for that many routes though - and that was when it
was 90K routes, not 230K :-)

You can do similar things in perl with Net::BGP, without bothering the
host system's routing table, too.