a business opportunity?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat Jul 5 21:56:35 UTC 2008

randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:

> if the ipv4 free pool run-out produces a lot of address shifting and
> recycling of old address space, will there be a market in clean-up
> services such as the above.  give them your newly-acquired address space
> for two months before you need to use it, and they will test and scrub
> and write and beg and whine on nanog?  it could be that one or two
> reputable clean-up folk could develop history with the various blockers
> and be able to get the job done better than we could do it ourselves.

reputation-washing is an inherently nonscalable business.  dirty blocks
that go back to the washer will be harder and harder to re-clean once the
victims harken to the repeat-business aspects of the activity.  dirty users
will go on incorporating a new LLC every week so as to appear to be a new
and different entity as often as they need to, to avoid regulations linked
to one's past reputation.

now, a business whereby small discontugous blocks could be traded in (with
some cash perhaps) for a contiguous block of the same total size, that'd be
interesting.
--
Paul Vixie

believed to be clean.