Replacement for Avaya CNA/RouteScience

Christian Koch christian at broknrobot.com
Fri Jul 4 02:36:27 UTC 2008

imo, no more than 3-4 transit providers and maybe a presence at 1 or 2 ixp's
with x amount of peer's would be small

im not saying customers won't/don't care about latency, its just not
difficult to route around the problematic nodes (unless SP A/B/C gets to it
first and band aid the issue until resolution), maybe i just don't see
enough issues to even recognize the problem?

agreed, human error is a big cause of a lot of issues.

well there are plenty of ways to manipulate traffic other than local_pref,
that is why i find it interesting, you have options.

i don't understand what the difficulty is in monitoring your bandwidth and
understanding your traffic patterns, if this is done properly, you can plan
capacity and execute your routing policies for optimal performance, and not
have to re-route/re-engineer traffic so often. does your traffic fluctuate
that much that you cant get a good grasp on what you're pushing, from who,
and when?

i definitely see value in appliances like the fcp and route science box, i
just think for a smaller provider it may not be necessary - or maybe i have
it backwards,and it is a better solution for a smaller provider so they
don't have to waste money on highly skilled engineers? maybe i am just
thinking "inside" the box at the moment, from an engineers view..if so my
apologies for steering off course

-christian

--
^christian$