DNS and potential energy

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jul 1 15:44:05 UTC 2008

Once again, I am baffled that people would rather speculate than do
five minutes of reading.  (Well, maybe baffled isn't the word.)

>There is the question of the fee structure. If the fee is really > $
>100,000 USD, then this will damp down the numbers considerably.

The fee isn't set, but I haven't seen any estimates under $100K.

>How many .com domains are there ? I have a _2001_ report of 19
>million. I would guess maybe 50 million by now.

If you had looked at the GNSO report, you wouldn't have to guess.  It
says there are roughly as many 2LDs in .COM as in all other TLDs
combined, a pattern that hasn't changed in years.

>What there may be is a raft of trademark lawsuits - for example,

That's a given.

R's,
John