Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

Todd Underwood todd-nanog at renesys.com
Thu Jan 31 02:41:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 01:56:42AM +0000, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> For what its worth, Todd Underwood has a very good overview of the
> countries affected by this outage over on the Renesys Blog here:
>
> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/01/mediterranean_cable_break.shtml

while i very much appreciate the compliment, this work was all done by
my colleagues at renesys earl zmijewski and alin popescu.  i've been
following the routing events around this cable break, though.

there are some interesting findings here about who (what carriers,
what countries) were critically dependant on these cable systems.
we'll probably put some more effort into analyzing this situation as
it develops and compare it to the taiwan outages that hit late 2006.

(nanog program plug:  my colleague martin a brown will be presenting
and update on the way that the taiwan quake outages continue to affect
transit and peering patterns in asia over a year after the original
cable breaks:  http://nanog.org/mtg-0802/brown.html . if you're
interested in this subject you should probably register for nanog42 (
https://www.nanog.org/registration/ ) and attend.)

if there's enough interest in this event, we'll do a lighting talk

<plug type="another">
	lighting talk submissions are already open at: http://nanogpc.org/lighting
</plug>

we'll monitor the situation and this community's level of interest and
allocate our energies accordingly. :-)

see y'all in sjc.

t.