Is 7bits enough? (was: Re: [admin] Re: EU Official: IP Is Personal)

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Sat Jan 26 20:38:51 UTC 2008

My note of yesterday didn't make it to the list, which happens from time
to time,
but as I'm not asking about automobile licenses or number portability,
this might
make it past the rather broad kill-this-thread administrative dicta.

Hi,

We (the P3P Spec WG circa pre-9/11) didn't specify what would reasonably
render
a v6 addr non-PII, and we didn't provide guidance on v4 addrs, other
than the 7bit
mask.

Since I'm the only former contributor to that activity who gets NANOG mail,
if any of you who have ideas on either of those two forms of endpoint
identifiers
and PII, if you send them to me, I'll summarize for the purpose of
offering a specific
update to our final work product, P3P 1.1 [1].

I'll extract the MAC-to-v4 comments for PII in a LAN environment,
which we ignored in the P3P Spec WG.

Eric

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P11/