EU Official: IP Is Personal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 25 17:40:14 UTC 2008

>> I don't know about your IP addresses, but, people can use my IP
>> addresses
>> from a number of locations which are nowhere near the jurisdiction in
>> which my network operates, so, I don't really see the correlation
>> here
>> with license plates or phone numbers.
>
> I'm not clear if you mean legitimately here, or not.  If you've
> authorised
> people to relay traffic through you in some way, you'd be the right
> first
> contact.  If you're talking about unauthorised spoofing, it's a lot
> like
> the first two cases (I'd say a fair bit easier / cheaper than the
> second,
> not substantially more so than the first).

In my case, yes, 100% legitimately.

I can be contacted, but, the reality is that I don't track it.  I am
no longer
in direct contact with a number of people who have legitimate use of
my IP addresses.  If I find them doing something I consider abuse, then,
I'll turn off the access.  However, I don't maintain contact
information or
the ability to personally identify the correlation between the person
and the access.  So far, abuse has been rare enough that this has
not been an issue.  I've had to turn off two services I used to provide
as a result of abuse in approximately 20 years of operating a network
here.

Owen