EU Official: IP Is Personal

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jan 25 14:05:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:42:44AM +0000,
 Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote
 a message of 15 lines which said:

> in the UK it [phone number portability] 's done with something
> similar to DNS. The telephone system looks up the first N digits of
> the number to determine the operator it was first issued to. And
> places a query to them. That either causes the call to be accepted
> and routed, or they get an answer back saying "sorry, that number
> has been ported to operator FOO-TEL, go ask them instead".

What happens when a phone number is ported twice, from BAR-TEL to
FOO-TEL and then to WAZ-TEL? Does the call follows the list? What if
there is a loop?

The solution you describe does not look like the DNS to me. A solution
more DNS-like would be to have a root (which is not an operator)
somewhere and every call triggers a call to the root which then
replies, "send to WAS-TEL".