NetworkSolutions - Was: Re: v6 gluelessness

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Jan 25 11:02:09 UTC 2008

Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> writes:
>
>>> Network Solutions appears to have some level of support for AAAA RRs
>>> because I am aware of domain names registered through them that have
>>> AAAA RRs.
>> it is pushing AAAA glue to the parent zone, com et alia, that is the
>> problem.
>
> Why don't you just put your DNS servers in some other TLD and forget
> about the problems of adding AAAA glue records to .net/.com?  The name
> of your DNS server can't really be that important.

Oh yes it is, as it is another dependency and another two/three lookups.

Lets say example.com uses ns.example.nz:

query ., .com, example.com, .nz, example.nz, ns.example.nz (though maybe
the latter is hinted as glue, though with DNSSEC that doesn't really
help), www.example.com

instead of:

query ., .com, example.com, www.example.com

Quite a bit quicker, and also less parts that can fail.

Lets see, a) IPv6 AAAA glue, or b) no IPv6 AAA glue and having quicker
resolution and less dependencies, let me think for a second, take a
small guess what I take (b).

Also, if you would look at http://www.sixxs.net/faq/dns/?faq=ipv6glue it
is somewhat easy to find an alternative registrar which can do the glue
for you.

Greets,
  Jeroen