EU Official: IP Is Personal

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jan 25 10:42:44 UTC 2008

In article <20080125093035.GH17698 at hezmatt.org>, Matt Palmer
<mpalmer at hezmatt.org> writes
>Tunnels all over the place seems like the only way it'd even be halfway
>practical. It's more-or-less how phone number portability works anyway,
>from what (little) I know.

I don't know about the USA, but in the UK it's done with something
similar to DNS. The telephone system looks up the first N digits of the
number to determine the operator it was first issued to. And places a
query to them. That either causes the call to be accepted and routed, or
they get an answer back saying "sorry, that number has been ported to
operator FOO-TEL, go ask them instead".
--
Roland Perry