NetworkSolutions - Was: Re: v6 gluelessness

Matt Larson mlarson at verisign.com
Thu Jan 24 18:55:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> >    o netsol understands aaaa glue
>
> REGISTRY part of NetSol here, I think David means the REGISTRAR part no?

To my knowledge, there is no registry part of Network Solutions.
Network Solutions and VeriSign are two distinct companies with
distinct roles re: the current topic.

VeriSign runs the .com/.net registry and Network Solutions is an
ICANN-accredited registrar that registers .com/.net domain names.

As I wrote in a previous post in this thread, VeriSign has supported
AAAA RRs in the .com/.net registry for over five years (since May,
2002).  Individual registrars may or may not support provisioning AAAA
RRs for their customers.

Network Solutions appears to have some level of support for AAAA RRs
because I am aware of domain names registered through them that have
AAAA RRs.

If one wanted to create a list of all registrars supporting IPv6 for
.com/.net domain names, and if one had a copy of the .com and .net
zones (which are freely available; see
http://www.verisign.com/information-services/naming-services/com-net-registry/page_001052.html),
one could look find all AAAA RRs and check which registrars registered
their parent domains via the VeriSign Whois server
(whois.verisign-grs.com).

Matt