EU Official: IP Is Personal

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Thu Jan 24 13:49:40 UTC 2008

I refer you to the following posting:

"Our University uses dynamic addressing but we are able to identify likely users
University, in the IP-to-Person mapping.  Our network essentially tracks the
IP-to-MAC relationship and the MAC-to-Owner relationship.  For us, its not the
IP that identifies a person, but the combination of IP plus Timestamp, which can
be used to walk our database and produce a system owner.

I'm guessing that Google et. al. have a similar multi-factor token set (IP, time,
cookie, etc) which allows them to map back to a "person"."

It is easy to back into people's identity.

Regards,

Roderick S. Beck
Director of European Sales
Hibernia Atlantic
1, Passage du Chantier, 75012 Paris
http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com
Wireless: 1-212-444-8829.
Landline: 33-1-4346-3209.
French Wireless: 33-6-14-33-48-97.
AOL Messenger: GlobalBandwidth
rod.beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
rodbeck at erols.com
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.'' Albert Einstein.