Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Jan 23 10:03:40 UTC 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 17:30, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

> Hmm, who gets paid?  It sounds like your hinting around a telco-type
> reciprocal payment model (correct me if I'm wrong).  Do I pay my
> upstreams who in turn pay there upstreams and so on and so on?  Or,
> is there some central, uber-authority that gets paid by all of us?
> It seems to me that there are many billing models that accommodate
> point-to-point relationships, but I'm having a hard time coming up
> with a mental model of payment in the many-to-many environment in
> the DFZ.

People pay the RIRs.

The RIRs spend money on parties for network operators.

I think that charging for deaggregation of PA is hard to imagine.  I
think charging for PI as a model may have been worthy of consideration
several years ago, but since we're only months away from entire
product lines of deployed edge kit nolonger accepting a full table,
the battle is over (and operators lost).

Andy