v6 gluelessness

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jan 22 19:11:02 UTC 2008

On 22 jan 2008, at 16:46, Joe Abley wrote:

> In this case, (2) might involve not only adding the AAAA (and,
> ideally, doing so from a PI /48 assigned under an RIR's critical
> infrastructure policy, and never using that /48 for anything else),
> but also renumbering rip.psg.com's IPv4 address into a similarly PI /
> 24. If there was ever a desire to change the name of the nameserver,
> this would also be the time to do it.

I'm quite unhappy about the trend to put everything in their own
blocks that happen to be the longest possible prefixes. This means
that one oversight in prefix length filtering can take out huge
numbers of important nameservers.

We really need as much diversity as we can get for this kind of stuff.
There is no one single best practice for any of this.