Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jan 22 18:58:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, William Herrin wrote:

> Right now we rely on ARIN and the RIRs to artificially suppress the
> growth of the prefix count and with it the availability of PI space.

If by artificially suppress, you mean anyone who wants it can't just fill
out a form and be handed a portable /24 or other small CIDR sure...but you
don't need PI space to multihome or increase the size of the global table.
Giving absolutely anyone who wants it PI space would make things much
worse...so I wouldn't call that artificial supression.  It's more like
keeping the model sustainable.

> If we can determine the cost to announce a prefix then we could
> develop a market-based solution to the problem... One where instead of
> suppressing the prefix count and dealing with it as business overhead,
> we GET PAID for announcing and propagating prefixes.

I think you mean "get paid for accepting prefixes" or perhaps "pay into
some global pool (for redistribution to the participants) to announce
prefixes".

Good luck on that one. In how many languages can you say "not gonna
happen"?