Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Jan 22 16:35:18 UTC 2008

> Right now we rely on ARIN and the RIRs to artificially suppress the
> growth of the prefix count and with it the availability of PI space.
> If we can determine the cost to announce a prefix then we could
> develop a market-based solution to the problem... instead of
> suppressing the prefix count, we GET PAID for announcing and
> propagating prefixes.

Right now, we rely on our appetites to tell us when we're full, and
should stop eating tasty sammitches.  If we can determine the cost of
obesity, then we could develop a market-based solution to the
problem...  instead of eating less, we GET PAID for eating tasty
sammitches!

Not sure this one holds together, when viewed at the macro-level.
Note that this is my first posting of the morning, is probably
crustier than average, and should most likely be ignored.

                                 -Bill