v6 gluelessness

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Tue Jan 22 14:35:18 UTC 2008

Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:
>> Going back to operational issue (yes, incredible as it may seems, I
>> won't write here what I think of ICANN), there is a *technical*
>> solution to this issue, which is the one deployed by the
>> RIPE-NCC. Give a different *name* (and may be a different *IP
>> address*) to every ccTLD.

> This is suboptimal because it limits the opportunity for nameservers
> to measure RTTs and contact the fastest server.

Only if these nameservers do the Bad Thing and track responsiveness by
server name rather than by server address.

(I think a well-known DNS implementation does or used to do it this
Bad way, which was part of the reason that it sometimes locked on to a
server with an unreachable IPv6 address and a fast-responding IPv4
address - and of course it would always try the IPv6 address first )-:
--
Simon.