Lessons from the AU model

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jan 22 09:00:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Mark Newton wrote:

> Power is metered.  Water is metered.  Gas is metered.  Heating
> oil is metered.  Even cable-TV is packaged so that you pay more
> if you want to use more channels...

I know of places in my nick of the world where all those are flat-rate.
When the usage difference is small enough, metering is not effective.

Typical dorm here includes power, water, (gas is usually not used, but
most of the places that have gas charge ~ USD15 per month per apartment
for gas, flatrate), and heating. Basic cable included in rent. I also know
of quite a few regular apartments that have this model. In my apartment I
pay for power. Water, heating and basic cable is included in the monthly
fee.

Some claim that metering is 50% of cost in the telco industry, and I have
no reason to doubt that. Staying out of metering saves money on all
levels, less complex equipment, less supportcalls, less hassle with
billing.

I am also hesitant regarding billing when a person is being DDOS:ed. How
is that handled in .AU? I can see billing being done on outgoing traffic
from the customer because they can control that, but what about incoming,
the customer has only partial control over that.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se