An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 22 02:42:15 UTC 2008

I think a rate limited plan would appeal to most customers as it would
give them a fixed monthly budget item.   But I am pretty sure this will
not happen in the US based on experiences with the broadband by cell
providers who prefer a 'bill-by-byte' method with no mechanism to stop
loss in the event of a runaway process or compromised host     It seems
the market has lost it's taste for a known revenue stream with known
costs and profits in exchange for a Vegas go for broke growth at all
costs mentality.    And too often the vendor does go broke it seems the
market has lost a degree of rationality to the point where ISP are
'firing' customers who are using 'too many' resources instead of trying
to help them fix their issue or if they really are using all those bits
finding a mutually beneficial method of profiting from them.