Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Mon Jan 21 23:42:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 5:26 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> If using the 7600/3bxl as the cost basis of "the upgrade", you might as
> well compare it to the 6500/7600/sup2 or sup3b.  Either of these would
> likely be what people buying the 3bxls are upgrading from, in some cases
> just because of DFZ growth/bloat, in others, to get additional features
> (IPv6).

Hi Jon,

Hmm. Well, the secondary market is flooded with sup2's right now, with
the card at sub-$1k prices and with a 6500+sup2 in the $5k range.
There isn't really a comparable availability of the sup720-3bxl
although eBay does have a few listed in the $12k range. If we take
$5k-$1k=$4k for the chassis/ps/etc and compare $16k versus $5k for a
6500/sup720-3bxl versus a 6500/sup2 we get just shy of 70%
attributable to the prefix carrying capacity. That's essentially the
same number I came up with before.

I wouldn't want to stand behind those numbers, though. I'm not sure
what the error band is, but it has to be huge. The equivalence in the
secondary market just isn't there. Nor can we use $12k as the baseline
price for the sup720-3bxl. There isn't wide availability at that
price, just a few sketchy sellers from Hong Kong.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us