Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Jan 21 22:56:24 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Given that the 3750 is not acceptable, then what exactly would you propose
> > for a 48 port multigigabit router, capable of wirespeed, that does /not/
> > hold a 300K+ prefix table?  All we need is a model number and a price, and
> > then we can substitute it into the pricing questions previously posed.
> >
> > If you disagree that the 7600/3bxl is a good choice for the fully-capable
> > router, feel free to change that too.  I don't really care, I just want to
> > see the cost difference between DFZ-capable and non-DFZ-capable on stuff
> > that have similar features in other ways.
>
> If using the 7600/3bxl as the cost basis of "the upgrade", you might as
> well compare it to the 6500/7600/sup2 or sup3b.  Either of these would
> likely be what people buying the 3bxls are upgrading from, in some cases
> just because of DFZ growth/bloat, in others, to get additional features
> (IPv6).

I see a minor problem with that in that if I don't actually need a chassis
as large as the 6500/sup2, there's a bit of a hefty jump to get to that
platform from potentially reasonable lesser platforms.  If you're upgrading,
though, it's essentially a discard of the sup2 (because you lose access to
the chassis), so it may be fair to count the entire cost of the sup720-3bxl.

Punching in 720-3bxl to Froogle comes up with $29K.  Since there are other
costs that may be associated with the upgrade (daughterboards, incompatible
line cards, etc), let's just pretend $30K is a reasonable figure, unless
someone else has Figures To Share.

... JG