Level3/GTEI well-known DNS down?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:49:13 UTC 2008

On 21 Jan 2008 19:36:04 +0000, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

> dot at dotat.at (Tony Finch) writes:
>
> > > Not to start a debate but I've used OpenDNS since last year and been
> > > VERY happy with it....
> >
> > It's fine if you don't mind your DNS server lying to you.
>
> i was told that if one opts out of the nxdomain remapping service, opendns
> behaves normally ("no lies") and gives good performance.  so, while i'll
> likely continue to run my own recursive resolvers (since it's easy and since
> i like the low RTT for transactions having high frequency), it's not because
> i'm avoiding "lies".

OpenDNS is also a 'service' that a user 'opts-in' for.. it's not like
some of the other 'services' provided by ISP's that are not 'opt-in'
but rather 'opt-out' and potentially detrimental to your internet
activities...

Everyone has their opinion about OpenDNS, that's cool... but since you
choose to use them (or not) it's entirely your 'fault' if you get
'lied' to. I would note that after my initial upset-ed-ness about
OpenDNS the fact that you have to choose to use them makes it
perfectly fine in my book.

(I still use my own resolvers as well, but...)

-Chris