Lessons from the AU model

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Jan 21 14:12:57 UTC 2008

On 21 Jan 2008, at 14:02, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> OK, I give and admit my ignorance. What does "MLP" mean in this
> context ?
>
> A google search for "Australia mlp" reveals many hits for "My Little
> Pony,"
> which somehow I doubt is the intended meaning on this list.

Smile...

Here it stands for Multilateral peering, so in simplistic terms it
means you peer with everyone at an exchange.  A route server.

My issue isn't that they exist (and in fact one network I maintain is
a member of three MLPs.)  The issue is compelling people to join the
MLP.  This dissuades large networks from joining in with the public
peering game, and is probably harmful to the peering ecology of the
region rather than helpful.

Best wishes
Andy