Lessons from the AU model

Tom Vest tvest at eyeconomics.com
Mon Jan 21 12:19:11 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Roderick Beck wrote:

> I didn't find that very convincing. Overspending on infrastructure
> does not force prices up or raise long term costs.
>
> Excess capacity leads to prices falling in telecom and every other
> market.
>
> Basic economics.

Maybe we should go a little more basic still...
In the absence of competition (and esp. in the presence of risk of
empowering competitive entrants), supply has no general/necessary
effect on prices at all.
So excess capacity of a product that is completely monopolized (or
priced by cartel fiat, ala OPEC or SC) is largely irrelevant.

On the other hand, in the specific case of Internet access (retail or
wholesale level), prices have a huge impact on demand -- that's
called "price elasticity".
Given the absence of any mechanism to reveal "natural" prices or
"actual" demand, how does one know whether/how much "excess capacity"
there is anyway?

> I'm sure the Americans are experiencing excess capacity right now
> in housing ... :)

American construction / real estate investors and speculators are
certainly experiencing excess capacity in the most extreme way, but
that's because the fully loaded price of housing has gone up a great
deal (and/or, the actual price point is finally being discovered/
revealed) -- at least for the credit-challenged market segment that
was the primary engine of demand behind the recent boom. For them
especially, lending terms have deteriorated tremendously. Now general
interest rates are falling again, but credit requirements are
tightening so much that, for many in that group, credit will not be
available "at any price".

If that seems counterintuitive, think Japan between c. 1993-2005:
huge "excess capacity" in real estate, inflation-adjusted interest
rates at zero or below, and yet (or perhaps "as a consequence") no
one buys, because the banks refuse to lend...

Come to think of it, our sector has been struggling with its own
roughly similar terms-of-exchange crisis since about 2004-2005...
arguably driven by very similar prior circumstances as well... worth
investigating a bit further perhaps...

TV